Saturday, March 17, 2012

WWI has never felt so real. . .


'Til The Boys Come Home
Borrowman, Jerry
Historical Fiction

This book really hit home to me. I feel like when you read about a war, especially one of the worst wars in the worlds history, World War I, it really makes you think about how lucky you are to not be in that situation in life. These boys who were in the war went through some unspeakable things, and this book gives you a look at what life would be like in the trenches, in the air, and behind enemy lines. Jerry Borrowman has the amazing ability to take fictional characters and make them feel so real that you could drive right up to their house and meet them in person. It is because of this, and many other things that I rate this book a 9.5/10. I realize that most books would have to receive hundreds of awards and great reviews from notable people to obtain a rating like this, but I believe that if this book were to receive the attention that it deserves and was read with an open mind, it could be considered one of the best historical fiction books of all time. The only reason that I did not give this book a 10/10 is because of how much it focuses on religious matters. It also has a lot of graphic scenes of battle that may be disturbing to some people, but I liked the details of the story, even the bloody parts.

One of the reasons you get to know these characters so well is because the Borrowman spends a good portion of the book giving you background information about each leading character.

The story starts out in a little town in Idaho. Danny O'Brian, the popular, fast, handsome guy in town, meets the new kid, Trevor in a community race, and surprisingly, is beat! After the race, Trevor Richards introduces himself to Danny and they quickly become friends. As Danny and Trevor grow up, they hear rumors of a war in Europe, not expecting to ever be drug into the equation. After Danny's older brother get's killed his first day in action, his dad tries to put the blame on Danny by saying that if it wasn't for him, his brother would have never left. Out of frustration, Danny storms out of the house and signs himself up for the army. Trevor gets drafted, just as many others their age did, and they end up in the war. Trevor gets sent off to the Air Force due to his skill with machines, and Danny is put into a sniper squad. Both young men quickly excel in their areas and are put onto the front lines. Danny spends night and day in the muddy, smelly trenches of France, fighting for his life every day. Throughout the story, you feel as if you are on the front lines with Danny, or in the air with Trevor, fighting other German aircraft. The story goes through a lot of twists and turns that keep you flipping pages late into the night.

I believe that a definite theme that is displayed throughout the book is friendship. You can tell that both of the boys have a true love for each other, in a brotherly way of course. It really made me think about my own life and friends, and how I treated the people around me. In order to make this type of story work, with different plot lines, you have to use a narrator that can hop from story to story, and in to the thoughts and feelings of the main character. I would definitely recommend this book to anybody who loves action, fighting, and deep friendship. The way the author describes the feelings of the characters makes you want to cry with them and is very moving. Midwest Book Review says, "'Till The Boys Come Home is enthusiastically recommended reading and would prove a popular addition to any community library General Fiction collection." Midwest Book review also said, "The characters are superbly drawn, the attention to historical detail is impressive, and the storyline is totally engaging from beginning to end." I believe that this book is one of the best that I have ever read, and the equal following it is just as good.

L.j.F

No comments:

Post a Comment