Tuesday, May 22, 2012

A "Variant" on Good Reading

Variant
Wells, Robison
Fiction




     I would like to start off by saying that this is very easily one of the best books that I have ever read. I know that I say that about a lot of the books that I have read in the past, but I honestly think that this book is right up there with "Maze Runner". I thoroughly enjoyed the book, and found it very hard to put it down because of the almost constant action in the book, and I feel like it was written in a way that makes you want to keep reading long into the night, which is a skill that not many writers have. As a rating for the book, I would give it a 5/5. I think that it deserves this rating, and the only thing that is even slightly questionable about the book is how graphic some parts of the book are. 
    
     Benson Fisher has received a scholarship to Maxfield Academy, where he is determined to get a restart on his life. He has been passed around from one foster family to another, so he is very excited at the idea of living away from that for a while, and just focusing on school and friends. Shortly after ariving at Maxfield, he realizes that he was extermely wrong. The whole school is split into 3 different gangs, and there are no teachers. The students have to run classes, cook food, and clean the school by themselves. No one knows why they are here, or how long they will be there. As the story continues, dramatic changes in the plot unfold as Benson tries to escape his new prison. In the end, they students are all surprised at what the school was actually used for, and ends in a way that implies a second book in the series.
    
     I believe that a good theme for this book would have to be trust. There are multiple examples of betrayal throughout the book. These are often very surprising, and leaves the reader in awe. Benson has a hard time trusting anyone in the school after discovering a secret about it, and it really makes you think about who can be trusted, and what a real friend would do in dangerous situations. The best way to provide an inside look at these friendships is through the style of narration that Wells uses. It is all based on Will, although it is not narrated by him.

     I believe that the intended audiance for this book includes high school aged readers and adults. My reason toward this is because of the graphic way the author describes some parts of the book, and has some mature language as well. Looking past that though I would defenitely recommend this book to anyone within that age group. It is well worth your time, and will leave you wanting more. James Dashner, the author of the "Maze Runner" series says, “Variant is a compelling story on so many levels. I loved it! The twist behind it all is my favorite since Ender’s Game.” There are definate twists in the plot and I think James Dashner says it very well. Another quote, from Booklist, "Take Veronica Roth’s Divergent (2011), strip out the angst, add a Michael Grant–level storytelling pace, and you have this very satisfying series starter.” I read Divergent as well, and I think that this comparrison is well said. I hope that you take my opinion on the book to heart, and read it, because it really is a good book and I know you'll love it too.

L.j.F
     




     

No comments:

Post a Comment